RUSVM Student Chapter of the
American Veterinary Medical Association
What is SCAVMA?
- SCAVMA is the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Locally SCAVMA serves as the governing body of all student clubs and organizations at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. The SCAVMA is composed of an executive board and representatives from each class currently at the St. Kitts campus. SCAVMA serves as liaisons between the entire student body, faculty, staff and administration.
- On a national level, the RUSVM SCAVMA is granted membership of both SAVMA and the AVMA. Two students, our SAVMA Delegates, attend the SAVMA House of Delegates meetings bi-yearly, representing our school's students and their interests, at the SAVMA Symposium and AVMA Convention. Our SCAVMA president also attends these conferences, meeting with other student body presidents to discuss how to better serve our student body.
Benefits of Being a SCAVMA Member:
- Automatic free membership to the AVMA for first year following graduation from veterinary school
- Reduced prices for subscriptions to the AVMA journals: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) and American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR)
- Networking Opportunities: Educational SAVMA Symposium and AVMA Convention; AVMA Mentoring System
- Eligibility for Professional Development Funds (PDF) to travel to externships and conferences
- Scholarships, Student Loan Fund, Externship Stipends
- Reduced rates for AVMA conventions
- PLIT insurance coverage for student and professional career is provided--life, health and malpractice. This is a necessity for students in their clinical year.